The client approached FRP Engineering to assist with the rebuilding of the shearing shed on the property. Shearing sheds are a long term investment and the farm owner was keen to rebuild this one to stand the test of time. He came to the experienced team at FRP Engineering with a plan to find the best possible walkway grating for the project.
The key requirements for the FRP Flooring were:
- Must be strong enough to take the load of sheep and shearers;
- Must be hardwearing so it lasts many seasons;
- Must be slip resistant;
- Must not corrode in the harsh environment;
- Must not ‘catch’ the hooves of the sheep but must allow for easy clean down.
The experts at FRP Engineering set to work finding a type of walkway mesh that would comply to all the client’s requirements.
Eventually the client settled on a Minimesh style grid mesh flooring with a larger mesh configuration for easy clean down. FRP Engineering was able to use its extensive network of suppliers to get this product fabricated to the exact dimensions to allow for easy installation with minimal cutting and wastage.
The client completed the refurbishment of the Shearing shed on time and on budget thanks to the smart application of composite materials.
How can FRP Engineering help you with your next project? Call us to find out.
Given the highly corrosive nature of the chemicals, designers of a new purpose built chemical storage facility located in Perths’ south had to consider the long term maintenance requirements of the access infrastructure. Over the years, the cost to maintain corroding materials can be more costly than the initial capital costs. It turned out to be an easy decision, enter FRP.
When considering all the attributes of FRP (Fibre Reinforced Polymer) materials such as:
- Light weight
- High Strength to Weight Ratio
- Corrosion Resistance
- Low Installation Cost
FRP came out significantly ahead of traditional materials.
FRP infrastructure included:
- Approximately 120 metres of Tank top access walkways
- Pipe Crossover stairs
- Bund Access Stairs
- Equipment Access Platforms
The added benefit of using FRP materials are
- The initial capital costs were far less than their metallic alternatives.
- FRP materials are significantly lighter than metallic materials meaning that walkways could be designed without the use of many columns which made the installation much cheaper and quicker.
- The concrete membrane required far less penetrations for the columns which meant significant savings in repair coating of chemical anchors.
For more information relating to these, or other FRP materials, please feel free to contact FRP Engineering.